Sunday, December 6, 2009

Y the Last Man

I found this book before it was actually reccomened in the class at the beginning of the semester while looking at a list of comics that the author believed could not be made into movies because of how they are formatted perfectly. This book stood out on that list because I found the plot idea to be interesting, I think it is often a male fantasy to be the only male in a land of women but this comic takes a real look at how that is really not that good of an idea. I feel that Y takes a very real approach to how being the only man would work and I think that's a great concept.

The analysis of an odd male fantasy it a great jumping off point for a comic, it gets common ground with the vast majority of comic readers and pulls them in, one of the best hooks I have seen in comics. It the story builds off of this idea and how being the only male would work and presents it is a fashion that is not at all like the fantasy that most men would believe it to be, maybe because of how it happens or just because that is how it would actually happen. I feel the author sets a a great senaerio for how being the only male could be possible, without just letting it go to magic or some kind of wish/fantasy, which I think is much more challenging but also much more rewarding in the end because I feel it makes the story a lot stronger. It feels to me like an advertiser came up with the idea for this book because the introduction is so well thought out and it really sucks a male audience in, the author definitely knows what audience he is going for and how to lure them in. I was not able to get that far into the series but it was enough to hook me and I plan on finishing it during winter break

No comments:

Post a Comment