Sunday, December 6, 2009

Alan's War

After Reading Maus I was prepared for the worst with Alan's War but the resulting story I found not nearly as gruesome and a much easier read. Alan's War is about G.I. Alan Cope and how he deals with being in the war.

It recounts all parts of the war for Alan. They don't skip any of the small things that, in the end, are what really matter. He details all of his experiences in great detail and it really gives you a feel for what is was like to be there in his shoes. I found his recounting to be interesting at first but the length of the entire book was too intimidating to finish, the story was good but not that good. I found that after a while it seemed to drag on, and it was a biography so lots of details had to be included but I ended up not being hooked into the book like I was with Maus. The entire thing seemed too generic to really read all of it, it got predictable but I should have expected that fro a biography but it was a little disappointing because just judging by the cover the book seemed like it could be really interesting. I dont think there is much the author can do to change this though being a biography and all which is unfortunate so I'd live it that if you want to get into the life of a G.I. in World War 2 Alan's War is a good read but if you are just looking for a new graphic novel to pass the time I would suggest looking else where.

No comments:

Post a Comment