Sunday, December 6, 2009

Perry Bible Fellowship

Ah finally, web comics, my favorite kind of comic right now and above all the others I love Perry Bible Fellowship. It is the origin of all my sick internet humor, I have always been drawn to Nicholas Gurewitch's sense of humor. I have been reading PBF since early high school because I had seen his comic linked on other sites that recommended it. after the first one I read I was instantly hooked. If I remember right, the first one I saw was Astronaut Fall which is where an astronaut falls to earth and a child eats the one flake of ash that is left of him thinking it's the first snow flake of the season. humor like this was very new to me at the time, most of the jokes in the online comics I was reading were about video games or were very corny but this was something completely new to me. Later I would start reading White Ninja too because it uses the same approach to writing jokes as PBF. The writing style of these comics is something that is still unique to me, and he manages to keep it in all the comics while getting amazing jokes it there. I can randomly click on the archive and I will always laugh. The art of the comic is nothing too special, it doesn't detract from the story and it doesn't scream over the story either. I would like to take this blog post to analyze why the writing style appeals to me so much.

The comedic value in the comics does not come from one line jokes or other traditional ways to bring humor into web comics that I see everywhere else. The situations that Gurewitch presents in his short comics are where the comedy lies and how his unique characters interact with the situations. Many of the ideas brought up are easy to identify and are often thought about but Gurewitch puts a new spin on them, he presents them in a new way that I dont think most people would ever imagine. This is where I find the true value of PBF comes from, the ability to take the ordinary and give it that extra push and turn it into something I find really funny. They also seem to have a cynical undertone to most of them which also makes the comic stand out for me. I have really taking lessons from this comic and apply them to how I see the world around me and I believe that is why I have a very unique sense of humor. Perry Bible Fellowship is by far my favorite comic I have read this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment